Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Winning The Lottery


The lottery seems like a good thing to everyone in The United States. If you win the lottery, you get a lot of money. It’s yours, to do whatever with. However, winning the lottery in the short story “The Lottery” isn’t such a lucky thing. One name  is chosen at random and the winner is stoned to death. This has been happening for as long as the citizens can remember, but what will happen in the future? I believe that if the lottery continues to take place, the whole community will revolt, and leave the country destroyed.

If we look into the future of the lottery, I see the stoning stopping, because I assume that everyone will already be dead, that is, everyone besides the leaders.  If citizens don’t like what’s happening to them, it’s their natural instinct to change it. Think about Wisconsin this past year. So many people did not like what Scott Walker was going to do, so they attempted to get rid of him. I expect the families of the people who have been killed by the lottery to get so angry one day, that they go up to the government officials and ask them to stop, and when they say no, they fight. After an intense battle over what will happen, the Government will continue stoning  (that is if any citizens are left alive).
Not many people like to constantly be controlled. No one prays that their freedom will be taken away. So, when the lives of people are in the hands of the someone else, people are obligated to upset about this. The community will rebel because they will eventually realize that the lottery isn’t a good thing at all, and brings nothing positive to anybody.

If you look at Animal Farm, written by George Orwell, you can see that my prediction for the future of The Lottery could very well be true. In Animal Farm, the Pigs control all the other animals, without them having any choice. After a long summer of hard work, the animals decide that they don’t want to work anymore, and rebel against the Pigs. In the end of the book, the Pigs are still in charge, and in all honesty, nothing really changed. Because these books have very similar plot lines, I think that my reasoning is very likely.

The Lottery could have seemed like a tradition that needed  to be done, but soon the people will see the truth. They will notice that the government has been brainwashing them for so long, they will realize that it’s not right, and that they don’t deserve that. But, in the long run, nothing will change. People will still be stoned to death, families will still be heartbroken, and the Government will still control everything.


It was a cold, stormy, Tuesday afternoon when Bill Hutchinson burst through the doors of the City Hall.
“I want to speak with Mr. Summers,” he paused, waiting for an answer, “NOW!”
“Yes..?”Mr. Summers said, approaching Bill from behind a desk.
“The Lottery has gone on way too long. We have lost too many precious lives because of it. And if you think I’m alone on this one? You’re wrong, all these people agree with me,” as speaking, the doors open behind Bill, revealing the whole community standing there.
“Oh, so you all think I’m wrong?” Mr. Summers paused, waiting for an answer, “YOU THINK I’M WRONG? I run this city better than any of you ever could. Ever.”
“I understand you feel that way sir, but nobody else does,” Bill stated.
Right about then, Mr. Summers took out a gun, and shot Bill Hutchinson.  In front of everybody.
“Alright. I killed one. If anybody has anything else to say, I’m sure Mr. Hutchinson would appreciate some company,” he paused, watching to see if anybody moved, “now get along, I’ve got things to do and places to be. “
As the sun set that day, the citizens sat in their houses, and realized, that the lottery would not stop, unless they MADE it stop. 

1 comment:

  1. I loved your continuation of the story... it would have fit perfectly with the original! I think that is exactly what Mr. Summers would have done if someone disagreed with him... exactly. The only thing that I might change is the last sentence to your opening... umm.... essay? I would personally enjoy that sentence more if you changed "People will still be stoned to death." I think that you were meaning that as a metaphor, not in reality, but that was a little unclear to me as which you were using.
    Great writing piece, I am looking forward to more! :D

    ReplyDelete